Director of Parks & Recreation:
Town of Luray, Virginia
PO Box 629 :: 45 East Main Street, Luray, VA 22835
Town Office: (540) 743-5511 :: West Main Bridge
Fax: (540) 743-1486
(Evenings on Main Street, Holiday & Special Events for 2018)
Lake Arrowhead Details
FEATURING KAYAK RENTALS!
Tony Painter: (540) 743-1180
Luray Valley Soccer Club (Travel Soccer)
Ben Zimmerman: (540) 244-9365
Luray Little League Baseball & Softball
Mary Ridgeway: (540) 244-7116
Luray Youth Football
President, Buck Ancell: (540) 533-1656
Luray Youth Cheerleading
Cathy Marston: (540) 421-4663
April - October: The Parks & Recreation Department has an on-call staff member to address after hours problems or concerns at any of our parks.
Call: 540-743-5511 IF YOU NEED ASSISTANCE AFTER NORMAL BUSINESS HOURS.
A special thank you to everyone who helped to make this year's Festival of Spring such a success!
TROUT DERBY 2018
Thanks to everyone who supported and participated in our annual Youth Trout Derby day - April 2018!
ABOUT LURAY PARKS & RECREATION
The Town of Luray Parks and Recreation Department is responsible for the operation and management of seven parks, consisting of approximately 300 acres of parkland located in and around Luray, Virginia.
The first and largest park is Lake Arrowhead Park, built in the early 1970’s and located approximately two miles outside of the Town of Luray limits. Lake Arrowhead offers a 34-acre lake with fishing, boating, canoe and kayak rentals, a white sand beach for swimming, and a concession stand. There are six picnic shelters with restroom facilities, a baseball field, playground areas, two miles of marked hiking trails, and a boy scout camping area. Total acreage of the park is 125.
The second park is the Ralph H. Dean Recreation Park. This park is approximately 58 acres and was built in the early 1990’s, partially with funding from the Department of Conservation and Recreation and the Virginia Department of Transportation. The Ralph H. Dean Recreation Park is a dynamic recreational facility kept in impeccable condition with scenic mountain views. In 2009-2010 the Town of Luray expanded park facilities to include two National Softball Association regulation softball fields. The principal softball field complex has stadium style seating (capacity 600) and state of the art press box and concession facilities. Also located at the Ralph H. Dean Recreation Park are three Little League baseball fields, a Robert Leathers designed wooden playground the Imagination Station, a 70’x40’ skate park, a nine hole Frisbee golf course, several restroom facilities, a 1-1/4 mile Fit-Trail walking trail, and two picnic shelters that are available for daily rental.
The third and fourth parks we are responsible for maintaining are small neighborhood parks. The first being Luray Inn Lawn Park, located across from the Page Public Library which consists of a community gazebo, picnic areas, and playground equipment. The second community park is Eugene Park, located on Rosser Drive. This park consists of picnic areas and playground equipment. These two parks have a total acreage of 11.
The fifth and sixth parks we are responsible for are the unique “pocket” parks. The “Slye Pocket Park” is located on East Main Street and is a small park with landscaping, picnic tables, and benches. The “Cave Pond Park” is located on West Main Street and includes a one-acre pond with a lighted fountain, a handicapped fishing dock, covered picnic tables, and benches. The total acreage of both parks is 20.
Last, but certainly not least, is our beautiful award-winning Luray-Hawksbill Greenway located along the Hawksbill Creek in downtown Luray. This linear park features a 10’ wide paved walking pathway with benches and picnic tables which parallel the Trout-stocked Hawksbill Creek. Phase #1 of this 4-phase trail, which is ½ mile in length, was completed in the Spring of 2002. This phase runs from the Commuter Park-and-Ride (at the intersection of Route 211 Bypass and Route 340 North) to Main Street. Phase #2, completed in 2003, crosses Main Street, runs for about ½ mile, and stops at the Route 340 (Farm Bureau) Bridge. This phase includes a beautiful plaza area with swings, an arbor, and also another small Cliffside pocket park with considerable landscaping, a drinking fountain, picnic tables and benches. In 2004 a ramp was installed under Main Street to ensure that trail users would have a safe passageway. Phase #3, completed in 2005, runs from the Park-and-Ride area under Route 211 Bypass and makes a large loop. This phase is approximately ¾ of a mile in length; this phase also traverses our Riparian area. Phase #4, completed in 2009, runs along Route 340 South for approximately ¼ mile from the Farm Bureau Bridge to Oscar Sour’s Bridge. In 2010, with funding from the Virginia Department of Forestry, a permeable paver parking lot was constructed on Phase #4. Also in 2010, with funding from the Department of Conservation and Recreation, two trailside comfort stations were completed to provide our trail users with a clean, safe comfort area that is aesthetically pleasing. The completed trail is approximately 2 miles in total distance.
For 17 consecutive years since 2001, the National Arbor Day Foundation has recognized Luray as a “Tree City USA”, Luray is 1 of 56 Virginia communities to receive the “Tree City USA” Award. In addition, the town is 1 of 8 to receive the foundations prestigious Growth Award annually since 2003. Luray is 1 of only 6 in Virginia to earn the Sterling Award.
Today, the Town of Luray with its scenic views and natural wonders, offers visitors outdoor recreational activities, Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter events and concerts, dining & shopping, entertainment, museums, and SO MUCH MORE. In addition, Luray is known as the gateway to the Shenandoah National Park connecting nature lovers and sightseers to the Skyline Drive which extends eastward along the Blue Ridge Mountains. The Town of Luray is also home to the internationally-known "Luray Caverns". With four seasons of adventure, Luray is the perfect year-round destination.